May 25, 2010

it's been 15 years since we last saw our sister. we all have our memories of the last time we saw her. no one ever tells you it's the last time. you don't get a goodbye.

the last time i saw her she was crying. she needed help. and then she drove away.

the last time i heard her was on the answering machine. she kept asking for someone to pick up. no one was home.

and then the police officer came.

i remember the look on his face. i remember him taking off his hat. and telling me she was dead. and asking me who would tell my mom. i don't remember who called to tell her to come home. or who had the courage to tell her that her daughter was dead.

this is what i remember. every time i think of her. i remember a heavy sadness.

but she had a life before the accident. she was funny. sassy. beautiful. i wish i could remember those things instead.

3 comments:

  1. I want to see a picture of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing what death takes away from us...not just the person, but our ability to remember them as they were before. She obviously was so much more than her accident and it's clear that deep down you see her that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was amazing. My best friend and I miss her. I go back and read my yearbook over and over just to remember her. She will forever be in my heart. Yes she was sassy, funny and the most beautiful person I knew. I love you Karen!

    ReplyDelete

say hi, leave a note. comments make me all happy inside.